Willy Zerbel - "Opi"

AkhuIconB
Hello Grandpa. Since the 20th of April, 2005 - your 59th wedding anniversary - you’ve been gone. I was at your remembrance ceremony. I know you didn’t want one, but… somehow I’m happy there was one. I can’t say goodbye to an urn. That’s not a human being to me, but only leftovers.

I couldn’t cry, must not, couldn’t tell you in my mini-speech what I wanted to tell you. I miss you terribly. I feel guilty because you diesd alone, because I only visited you twice in that place you were at. I was scared. Scared because of you, because of this atmosphere of waiting for a - sometimes lonely - death that place radiated.

I howled and shouted at home when I realised that you were gone. I yelled at my gods that they should bring you back. And yet it had been I hwo said that doing such a thing was egotistical. I wanted to be egotistical, too. Unfair. Wanted something beloved back. Wanted YOU back. Hug you. Talk to you. Write down everything you say so it stays after you’re gone…

I know you feel better now. You never wanted to end up like this, in pain and helpless where you used to be so strong and active a person. It was a gift from above that you were mentally clear until the very end. YOU were a gift, to me, and hopefully to all who know you.

I don’t want to cry because of you, but I must. I’m so full of pain and loss. I’m sorry. I love you, Grandpa.

The wind blows a leaf from a tree Just one of many leaves. You hardly notice that single leaf For one is none, they say. But this unimportant single leaf Was so important in my life That I will surely sorely miss This one single leaf.

Hallo Opi. Seit dem 20.4.2005, deinem 59. Hochzeitstag, bist du nun fort. Ich war auf deiner Trauerfeier. Ich weiß, du wolltest keine, und trotzdem… irgendwie bin ich froh, dass es sie gab. Ich kann mich nicht von einer Urne verabschieden. Das ist kein Mensch mehr, nur Reste.

Ich konnte nicht weinen, durfte nicht, konnte dir in meiner Minirede nicht sagen, was ich sagen wollte. Ich vermisse dich schrecklich. Ich habe ein schlechtes Gewissen, weil du alleine gestorben bist und ich dich nur zweimal besucht habe im Heim. Ich hatte Angst. Angst um dich, vor dem Heim, vor dieser Atmosphäre aus Warten auf den oft einsamen Tod.

Ich habe zuhause geheult und geschrien, als mir klar wurde, das du fort bist. Habe die Götter angebrüllt, sie sollen dich wieder zurückbringen. Dabei hatte ich noch zu anderen gesagt, so etwas sei egoistisch. Ich wollte auch egoistisch sein. Ungerecht. Etwas Geliebtes wiederhaben. DICH wiederhaben. Dich umarmen können. Mit dir reden. Alles aufschreiben, was du sagst, damit es da bleibt, wenn du weg bist…

Dir geht es jetzt besser, das weiß ich. Du wolltest nie so enden, voller Schmerzen und hilflos, wo du doch immer so aktiv und stark warst. Es war ein Geschenk, dass du noch bis zum Schluss geistig voll da warst. DU warst ein Geschenk, für mich und hoffentlich alle anderen, die dich kennen.

Ich will nicht um dich weinen, aber ich muss. Ich bin so voll Schmerz und Verlust. Entschuldige. Ich liebe dich, Opi.

Es weht der Wind ein Blatt vom Baum Von vielen Blättern eines. Das eine Blatt, man merkt es kaum Denn eines ist ja keines. Doch dieses eine Blatt allein Bestimmte auch mein Leben Darum wird dieses eine Blatt Mir wohl auch immer fehlen.