William Eugene Lightle - September 3, 1910 - June 28, 1985

AkhuIconB
Dear Daddy,

It’s been 15 years since you’ve gone to the West, and I still miss you so much. I hope that you are well there. I know you watch over our family, and I remember often all the things you taught me and the time we spent together while I was growing up. You were the most wonderful father a person could ever have, and I treasure the moments I had when I was with you.

So much has happened in the last 15 years! That last time I saw you in the hospital, when I was visiting with my two little girls, I remember your squeezing my hand and hearing you say that one day, I should have a boy, too. Well, I had another girl, and then finally got that little boy a few years later. He’s almost 12 now, and you would have had so much fun with him. He loves sports and computers and is so curious about the world. He’s also very thoughtful and has a deep spiritual side, too. The girls have grown into beautiful young ladies. Keren has finally passed through her difficult teenage years and is a lovely young woman now. She’s been home from college lately and we actually get along very well, now! Alisa has the heart of an angel and is so sweet and kind to everyone. She lights up our lives with her thoughtfulness. Julie is bright and intense and you’d love watching her tackle a project and come up with something amazing. They’re such neat kids–I’m sure you can see them from where you are, but I just thought I should tell you! Roger is a wonderful husband. He works so hard and is so kind and generous to everyone and cares so deeply about the children. I’ve been so blessed, Daddy; it’s so great to have this beautiful family that I love so much.

Mommy misses you terribly and she dreams about you often. I know she’d like to be with you, but I keep telling her that we’d like her to stay with us for a while longer, so she shouldn’t even think about leaving! She’s doing pretty well, actually, and sometimes doesn’t even need to use her cane or walker. We got her a little place in Rossmoor and I go over there almost every day to eat a meal with her, talk, and let her reminisce about old times. She’s happy that we all live so close to her, and I’m glad we get to see her often and help her when she needs it.

I think of you often, Daddy. Your picture is there in my akhu shrine, along with your watch and that Egyptian ring you gave me so many years ago. You knew I loved everything to do with ancient Egypt even back then, and I was so excited when you gave me that ring. I can even read the hieroglyphs on it now! You must have gotten it way back in the 20’s right after King Tutankhamen’s tomb was discovered.

I remember all that you taught me and the enthusiasm you showed whenever I learned something new or discovered something interesting about the world. I will never forget when you spent that whole summer reading a very difficult book in astronomy, just so that you could converse with me about what I had learned when I returned from the astronomy program at Mt. Hermon. I remember how you would listen to my playing the piano and tell me it was like perfume coming out of the instrument. I remember sitting for hours with you in the family room, discussing everything under the sun. You taught me the joy of learning and living life to its fullest. I will never forget that gift you gave me.

However, the greatest thing that you gave me was the belief in a Power greater than all of us. You told me that this Power would always watch over me and take care of me and that It loved me very much. You were so right, Daddy. I have finally found the best way for me to reach that Divine Power. The House means so much to me, Daddy; it’s like being home, and I feel closer to God than I ever have in my life. I cherish so much the community we have together. It’s better than I ever thought it could be. I’m so happy. I know you must be looking down on me and smiling, and I hope you can feel the great happiness and love that I feel being here. It’s a treasure beyond anything here on earth.

One other thing, Daddy: Netjer has called me to become a priest. Are you surprised? It wasn’t something I had ever thought about doing in my whole life! It took a while to get used to the idea, but now I know it’s exactly what I should be doing, and what I want to be doing with the rest of my life. It was as if Netjer looked down, saw that it was time for me to do it, and came and got me. :wink: It’s a really big step, and it’s kind of scary, but I will try my hardest to be the best priest that I can be. You gave me the best foundation and guidance for living that a father could give, and I’m so grateful that I have that to build upon.

Be well in the West, Daddy. Say hi to Aunt Eunice and Grandma Lightle and Uncle Lester and all of our relatives who are there with you. I will feed your Ka for the rest of my life and tell my children what a wonderful grandfather they have watching over them. And if you see him, give my brother Terry a big hug from me and tell him I love him, too!

Big hugs and kisses, and all my love, forever,
Barbara