My Grandfather, Geoffrey Brown

AkhuIconB
Grandad. It’s been years since I last spoke to you. You died so suddenly, I never got a chance to say goodbye. The last time I saw you, I was so sure I’d see you again in this life. Even writing this now is bringing me to tears, but there’s so much I want to say.

Your death changed my life. All the people at your funeral who had such good things to say about you inspired me to do something with my life. I finally buckled down and got on with my work at school. I was going to become a doctor, but then I realised history is much more my calling. Now I’m doing a degree at Plymouth University. It’s not the best one in the world, but it’s not half bad either!

I also finally plucked up the courage to come out as transgender. It breaks my heart that you died before I came out, but I hope you can see how happy I am now from wherever you are. You were a good man, and I wish I’d had more time to appreciate you.

I hope you can see me from where you are, and I hope you know the name I call myself now. I always thought my last name was so boring, but you made me so proud to have it. I couldn’t have asked for a better grandfather than you.

I hope I see you again someday, in the Great Hereafter, as I like to call it.

Your granddaughter, Abigail.