Is there a middle Egyptian language version of the prayer book?

I bought the prayers book written by our Nisut and was wondering if there was a version in middle Egyptian?

1 Like

Em hotep!

There is not a Middle Egyptian version. Hemet (aus) has said before that it is best to pray in the language that you know.

Senebty,

Ankhetbast

1 Like

Em hotep!

All prayers and texts on the prayer book have ancient sources, so all of them you can track down and find it in middle egypt!

Senebty,
Hepetwi

1 Like

I did check the concordinance but am having a hard time actually locating some of these original texts to actually read through. For example

Actually finding these to examine is giving me a hard time. Is there a webpage somewhere that you or anyone knows of where I can get this source material? I tried googling it but am kind of lost here. :woman_shrugging:t3:

Thank you for that, I appreciate your advice although this is something I’m supposed to do. If I can find the source material specific to the prayers themselves then I can make a complete translation, transliteration, hieroglyphs and Gardiner’s list codes to accompany them with a pronunciation guide. Also see it’s not just about the prayer and my communications it’s about opening the mind to new perspectives, perceptions, and ways of thinking and experiencing.

1 Like

All the Senut pages are writtings of Hemet, besides those, I believe all prayers are ancient ones or adapted. If you want to know where each one is from, you can check the number of the prayer in the Prayer Sources pages

There are many places where you can find those sources, it’s just a matter of searching for each one individually based on the citation. Searching for the citation in google typically will bring you to a place where you will be able to find it. Some things may be paywalled, in which case I would recommend utilizing something like Interlibrary Loan in order to acquire text on the material. Archive.org has a lot of texts digitized by the Internet Archive, which may be of use to start off. Just be aware of who is doing the translating or commentary, particularly in older egyptology texts.

I will say, it will be extremely difficult to piece together the entire book. The material spans a very long period of time. In the sources you listed it goes all the way from the First Intermediate Period to the Ptolemaic period. So not all of it will be in Middle Egyptian, and it won’t all be in formal hieroglyphs. There is bound to be some demotic and hieratic, so that’s something to be aware of going in.

It’s possible, but as someone in the House that specializes in language and translation, it’s gonna be a bitch of a project. But if you’re up for the challenge, I’m sure it can also be fun!

Came here to say this! <3 The Ritual of Senut is a modern creation written specifically for Kemetic Orthodoxy by our Nisut, with influences from antiquity. As such, searching for the “original” Middle Egyptian version of Senut would not be possible, because it did not exist then. Furthermore, tracking down “sources” that influenced Senut specifically would also not really be a thing. As I understand it, there are no specific references from which Senut was derived. You could, however, potentially translate the words of Senut into Middle Egyptian, if you’re able to find someone familiar with the language.