Hello! I am new here!

Hello all! My name is Elliot but I like to go by Bayek as its my chosen name. As I am emerging from a very rough point in my life I have stated to think a lot more of my spiritual side. After a bit of research I really started to learn and gravitate towards Kemetism and found myself getting happier the more I learned about this. As I was raised in a catholic household I never really felt like that was for me. I’m super excited to learn more about Kemetic Orthodoxy and the practices that goes into it. After learning about each of the gods listed on the Kemet website I discovered that I feel influenced through my life by the Netjeru Ma’at and Wesir. Along with Ma’at and Wesir I feel I have a deep connection with Netjer Heru and would love to learn more about my parent god. Though I am not taking the beginner course till next year id love to learn more about Kemetic Orthodoxy and the gods and goddesses in the meantime. I’m looking forward to learning more and discovering more of my spiritual side. Any pointers on any books I can read on the topic in the waiting period?

7 Likes

Em hotep! Welcome!

I believe there’s a recommended reading list on the website here. There are also some books written by Rev. Dr. Tamara Siuda, which there are links to here.

If you’re looking for information about a wide variety of deities, Wilkinson’s “The complete gods and goddesses of ancient Egypt” is good for that. I’m sure other people here have recommendations as well if there’s something more specific you are looking for!

3 Likes

Em Hotep, and congratulations on your steps on your religious journey!

I will second the recommendation of Wilkinson’s Complete Gods and Goddesses, it was the first good book on Kemetic religion that I bought, and I still leaf through it periodically :slight_smile:

My other “first book” recommendation is Rev Tamara’s “The Ancient Egyptian Prayerbook”, which includes not only various ancient and modern prayers, but some of the basics that you will learn about (and expand upon) in the beginner’s course when you are ready to do that :smiley:

Again, welcome, and don’t ever hesitate to ask questions.

2 Likes

Thank you for the book recommendations i will be sure to look at them when as soon as I have the chance!

1 Like

Thank you for the recommendations! "The Complete Gods and Goddesses of ancient egypt is most likely going to be what I check out due to my lack of knowledge! Thank you for the warm welcome! I do have another question as I could use some clarification. What is the main differences between a parent god and a beloved god. Thank you again!

That is a complicated question, unfortunately. While you will learn more in the beginner’s course, here are some basics.

In ancient times, each village/town/etc had a patron god or goddess that everyone worked with. And the next town over might have the same god or might have a different one. In modern times, we don’t have that. So Rev. Tamara (working with the gods) created the Rite of Parent Divination to give converts to our faith a group of gods to start working with. This rite was kind of like receiving those gods of a town at birth, and so one or two of Them were called Parents. Many members believe that their Parent(s) actively created their soul, though not everyone does. Beloveds are other gods and goddesses who stepped forward to help an individual at the time of that rite. But there have been people who have added beloveds at later points in their life, mostly as a public declaration of their close relationship with Them.

Currently, the Rite of Parent Divination is undergoing a reworking as the temple as a whole is undergoing a restructuring. What (if anything) will replace it is still to be decided, but like I said above, the RPD was never meant to be the only gods one works with, just a starting few.

I hope that makes sense!

2 Likes

Ahhh yes that makes a lot of sense thank you so much for the clarification! If i have any more questions i will be sure to ask!

Em hotep and welcome, Bayek!

Senebty! (Be well!)

1 Like

Em hotep Bayek! I hope you find yourself happy at home here. I can speak from experience it takes a while to get acquainted with all the netjeru for sure, but don’t be daunted! They will come to you with time.

1 Like

Thanks for the warm welcome!

1 Like

So far i am loving it here! Yeah learning the netjeru is tough but im slowly getting the hang of it as i ordered one of the books that was suggested to me!

Welcome! I like your screen name- was the choice inspired by Assassins Creed Origins, by any chance? That has become my favorite video game of all time. Before buying it I had posted on the forum here about it to make sure it was a good and respectful representation of ancient Egypt and the netjeru. It’s really helped me get a feel for what life was like then and helps me visualize it.

Another very good book that I haven’t seen anyone recommend to you yet is “Conceptions of God In Ancient Egypt: The One And The Many” by Erik Hornung. Hope you enjoy your journey!

2 Likes

Yes! I absolutely adore assassin’s creed origins! The game is absolutely gorgeous and it helps me learn a lot about Egypt! Bayek is my favorite character ever. I also really want to make sure what im learning in the game is accurate and respectful. But thank you for the book recommendation i will be sure to check it out!

1 Like

Welcome Bayek! I just completed Beginners myself in the summer. Hope you like it!

1 Like

Thanks for the warm welcome! Im super excited to do the beginner course! Im glad you enjoyed it!

To the best of my understanding, most things represented in the game are pretty accurate- at least at some point in ancient Kemetic history, because many things changed over time! There are a few things which the game developers invented purely for the game- the biggest example I can think of is in the Curse Of The Pharaohs DLC. Two of the 4 afterlife realms were invented for the game and were not part of ancient beliefs, but the other 2 realms are represented more accurately. Also, apparently the Medjay were gone in reality a few hundred years before the time period of the game, so for Bayek to be “the last Medjay” is technically accurate but in reality he would have been even more exceptional to still be around! There are probably some more minor things like that and other people with a little more knowledge than me might be able to go into it more. But I love Bayek’s character and story, too! A good story & a character I can really enjoy playing are the most important parts of a game for me.

1 Like

Thats amazing to know that a lot of the game is historically accurare to a point. (Makes me appreciate the game even more haha.) I 100% agree about the story and the characters being the most important and Origins exceeds expectations. Thank you for telling me about the main things that are wrong as I will keep it in mind.

1 Like

Em hotep and welcome, Bayek! I Hope you enjoy your time here!

1 Like

Thank you for the warm welcome!!!

1 Like